Tuesday, April 8, 2014

"Fire and Ice"



"Fire and Ice"


Some say the world will end in fire,  
Some say in ice.       
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.        
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate  
To know that for destruction ice       
Is also great     
And would suffice.


This is my personal favorite of the many poems written by Robert Frost. Robert Frost is displaying how some say the world will end in fire (which symbolizes desire) or ice (which symbolizes hate). Frost then goes on to say that he believes that desire will be the one to end the world but he knows enough hate that its destruction could also be great. Frost is saying how hate and desire are two extremely strong passionate feelings that can indeed end the world. Desire could easily end the world and hate would cause so much destruction that it would be adequate enough to end the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment